|Prehistoric grave, near to the Ketvele Canal
|Vanahoo Ossoo, Southern Savo Renovation Centre|
Linnansaari National Park was established in 1956 and is maintained by Metsähallitus. This national park comprises 98 square kilometres of islands and water. It is also home to the endangered Saimaa ringed seal and one of the largest birds in Finland, the osprey. Link
Rantasalmi Church, which was built in 1904 and represents late-gothic architecture, was destroyed at the end of June in 1984 when a lightning strike set it on fire. Architect Carl-Johan Slotte from Espoo designed a new church, which was built inside the walls of the old church and inaugurated on the Twelfth Day in 1989. This is the fifth church in the parish, which was founded in 1578. The church is located at Kirkkotie 3. Link
The Rantasalmi Museum is open in the summertime. It is located at Ohitustie 7 right in the centre of Rantasalmi.
Open 10.6.-13.8 2017.
Museum guides during summer
tel. +358 40 827 1075
tel. +358 40 558 5288
Established to promote recycling and renovation, a place for constructors and renovators to get spare parts and expert information. Volunteers renovated the building that people knew as Rissanen's Shop to serve as a shop that sells old parts that can be used in renovation projects. This is a great place to find architectural gems or to get expert advice on how to renovate old buildings.
Address: Kylätie 56, open year-round on Thursdays from 12 pm to 5 pm, tel. +358 45 3429 201. Link
The festivities to celebrate the 225th anniversary of Finnish cadet education were held in Rantasalmi in the summer of 2004. The theme for the weekend was ”From Rantasalmi to Santahamina – 225 years of cadet officers in the spirit of Samuel Möller”.
The event also served as the opening of the Haapaniemi Cadet School Exhibition which includes maps, photos and genuine guns from the era and also a cadet in an old uniform.
The exhibition can be visited in Ohitustie 7, Rantasalmi. No entrance fee.